Maintained by David A. Clunie email@example.com.
Last updated: Mon Oct 29 07:56:03 EDT 2018
Getting the dicom3tools ...
NB. The older unsupported package is no longer being worked on, and contains
significant deficiencies in the handling of DICOM messages, and in
particular doesn't support sequences :(. It is kept hanging around because
it contains some really old translators and tape tools that could conceivably
still be useful on rare occasions, but are not worth the effort of porting to
the newer framework.
What are the dicom3tools ...
Open Source - BSD License terms described here.
Runs on Unix, Linux, Mac and Windows (Cygwin).
Command line utilities for creating, modifying, dumping and validating files of DICOM attributes, and conversion of proprietary image formats to DICOM. Can handle older ACR/NEMA format data, and some proprietary versions of that such as SPI.
No networking code ... this is not a complete DICOM implementation.
- Image format support ...
- DICOM offline file format as per Part 10, and auto-recognition of transfer syntax if no Part 10 meta information header.
- Parsing/validating DICOM data sets as modules and IODs.
- Creation/merging of DICOM datasets from text descriptions.
- Creation of overlays and lookup tables.
- Post scout lines, created 3D volumes from slices, orthogonal reprojection.
- Build/dump DICOMDIR.
- Dump DICOM Structured Reports.
- Pbmplus extended 16 bit raw format, and PGX format.
- Raw binary images.
- Decompress JPEG and deflate transfer syntaxes (using external codecs).
- Test image generation ...
- SMPTE patterns of arbitrary size and bit depth.
- Briggs patterns of arbitrary size and bit depth.
- Proprietary image conversions from ...
- General Electric CT High Speed Advantage (Genesis)
- General Electric MR Signa 5X (Genesis)
- General Electric Advantage Windows
- General Electric CT Pace
- Picker PQ/IQ CT
- Siemens CT Somatom Plus family (Native)(incomplete)
- Imatron CT (incomplete)
- Shimadzu MR (incomplete)
- Works greate on Mac OS X, or any Unix or Linux variant (with g++ versions ranging from 2.95 through 4.x).
- Can be compiled on Windoze but only with Cygwin (you will need X11 development for imake, gcc, as well as various other
utility packages installed). Selected windows binaries are provided for convenience, but
not the entire kit due to their size and also the need for the user to supply their own
UID root. Note also that these binaries can be run under the ordinary windows command
utility without installing Cygwin, by placing the supplied cygwin1.dll in your current
PATH. See http://www.cygwin.com/.
- No, the tools are not a network DICOM package, they just convert
things to offline file formats.
- Yes, if you don't care about dicom (!) but want to translate
from a proprietary format to something else, the tools will help.
- Yes, I do want to hear from ANYONE who knows ANYTHING about any
medical image format that is not included, or can provide sample
images to reverse engineer.
- No, I cannot make additional binaries available for platform X (too big or
I don't have your hardware and you need your own UID root anyway).
Comments, criticism and general abuse are greatly appreciated and should
be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.